THIS INFO HAS NOT YET BEEN UPDATED FOR 2023
Our db developer is making some big changes to VORC to make this a lot easier for us and you. *You will need a VORC account* so please go sign up or refresh your current account. But the procedure for how you get classes is likely to change (and get a lot easier). Everything below this line is from previous years.
We use our VORC Volunteer shift system for early sign up. Each open class spot (not class – each spot in each class) is a shift in VORC, so students sign up as volunteers in our Class Schedule department, and then select open class shifts. This confuses a lot of folks, but it’s SO MUCH better than our old g-forms and spreadsheets system, so hang in there with us! Here’s how to work it:
Sign up & Navigate VORC Like a Pro
Click on the images for screen shots.
Create a profile in VORC. If you are a returning student or volunteer, you will use the same profile you already have.
Update your profile to include your complete passholder name as it is on your MVP pass. This is important! We use our passholder reports to validate you.
Request access to the “Class Attendance” department (and any department you might like to volunteer for). MVP department is for people who work in MVP, not for students. Then please be patient! A real person will check our ticketholder report. If you’re an MVP passholder, they’ll approve you to be a “volunteer” in this (and other) departments, and you will get an email notification.
* Please note: You are invited to volunteer in any department you choose *but* you will not be approved for EMT or Media without meeting other requirements. Check those requirements out here (scroll down the page to specific dept info). Please meet those reqs first, *then* request access. If you haven’t, the admin will remove your request from those departments.
After you get the email notification, you’re ready to sign up for classes!
Log Back In! Once you have received the notification that you’re in a department, you can log in to see shifts.
Sign up for classes here: https://volunteers.rollercon.com/schedule/mvpclasses.pl
Here are some great tips for navigating the system. This used to be how you sign up for classes before the upgrade on the link above!
Click on Class Attendance to see all the MVP class shifts. Each user may choose two during each selection round.
Filter your view by the Class Schedule department. If you *only* signed up for Class Schedule, you can skip this step, because that’s already all you’ll see.
The blue menu on the top row is full of filter options. Experiment!
Search for a specific coach by entering all or part of the coach’s name in the “role” field.
Search for a class title in the “Notes” field.
Be sure to clear all these fields to look for your second class!
Filter by -blank- in the Derby Name field to see only available spots. Don’t bum yourself out scrolling through class spots that have already been grabbed! This is the biggest mistake people make – the reason why people think everything is full. But it’s not – you’re just looking at the full spots. Make ’em go away with this filter.
Sort your view at the bottom right. Want to look by date? This option decides what order you’ll see things.
- Choose a shift / class by clicking on the “sign up” link at the right of that line item.
- VORC is easier to navigate on a laptop. It’s not (yet) optimized for phones.
- The system will not allow you to sign up for anything that conflicts with things you already have (volunteer shifts, personal time you have blocked off in your profile [great for folks playing games!], other class(es) you signed up for). You can see conflicting items, but the “sign up” link will not be available.
- We start by allowing everyone to sign up for two classes. If you change your mind, you can easily drop a session by clicking the “drop” link. Then you can choose another to replace it.
- You can see your whole schedule at the top of your home page, and midway down on your profile.
Here’s some math.
- In 2022, we started with 1840 open spots available in 93 on-skates MVP classes (it’s a small year for us).
- On the first day of signup, 252 users registered with “Class” access, and each user was able to choose 2 classes.
- 74 people complained on facebook or emailed us that all the classes were full when they looked (ok that number is made up. But it was a lot of people). But that math doesn’t work out. Even if every single person but the complainer got their 2 classes, there would still be 1338 class spots open. At the time of every single complaint, *every* class in the system still had spots open. ALL OF THEM.
- We know this happened because the navigation is new to everyone. It is our mission to teach everyone how to nav VORC like a pro so no one feels that disappointment! Classes are available, ya’ll. Filter, search and sort to make it super easy to go get ’em! Best of luck!