Waiting in LINES
Lines at RollerCon
There are lines. We sell the convention out early to help prevent long lines, stagger events to mitigate multiple line traffic jams, book high-demand coaches in off peak hours, and we have as many volunteers regulating and managing lines as we can get (join them!). But at some point during the 5-6 days you’re at RollerCon, you are likely to wait in a line. Here’s what you need to know.
Hotel Registration Lines
Sorry, there’s really nothing we can do about those! But if the line is too long for you, you can check your suitcases in at the Bell Desk and skip it until later.
RollerCon Pass Registration Lines
- TUES & WED
The registration lines are longest on Tuesday around noon, and all morning Wednesday. Most attendees meet new people and greet old friends in line, so the mood is pretty awesome – lots of hugs! If you are a line-grumpy person, do us all a favor and don’t come during those times.
- LATE ARRIVALS
We try to be accommodating, but our volunteers work posted hours and not longer. If you want to make them work longer for your personal convenience, try bribing them – it might work. Otherwise, please make your travel plans work with our posted hours. Our posted Registration hours can be found on our google calendar.
- PLAN ON A LONG LINE
If you have a class or challenge on Wed morning, plan on going through early registration on Tuesday. No matter what your hurry, please plan for a long line so you don’t feel disappointed and impatient. That said, our Reg volunteers are fantastic at making lines go away. Still: plan for the worst.
- You must have a *validated* RollerCon pass and government-issued photo ID that matches to get into the track area. The only exception will be public, ticketed events – for which you are a ticketholder.
- To bring gear into the training camp area, you must also have passed through RollerCon registration to get an insurance-validated RC pass and a helmet sticker.
- “Validated” means that your pass has the appropriate indicators that prove you have been through registration, signed a waiver and we checked your insurance. Non-skating passholders must still sign waivers to get into the ballrooms.
- You will need your government-issued ID everywhere you need your pass. Most of us carry our ID behind our pass so it doesn’t get lost.
- In addition to gear check, Officials check your pass for insurance validation during the Safety Check. Most of us wrap our pass around our water bottle or the handle of our skate bag (which you will push under the bench) during the game.
RollerCon Training Sessions
MVP Class Registration desk: We’ll register entrants 2 hours before each class starts (until its is full). A whiteboard outside the pre-registration area will list which classes we’re registering at that time. MVP passholders can register for one class at a time. IMPORTANT: Classes are all labeled by skill levels. We can’t register you for a class that doesn’t include your skill level (our system does not allow it). So check that your skill level is accurate in RollerTron, and don’t wait in lines for classes if it doesn’t match! You will need your badge and your ID to enter the MVP area and to pre-register. 30 minutes before the class starts, pre-registered people on the upcoming class roster will be allowed to line up at the track (and gear up). When the previous class exits, the next class be welcomed in. Class attendees will be able to gear up *in the interior hall* next to the tracks, but not to skate in the hall or area outside the tracks.
Auditing a Training Class
Some coaches may allow limited numbers of people to watch and take notes.
- You may not have gear with you to audit a class, period. Auditors MAY NOT bring skate bags into the class.
- Not every coach allows audits, but many do.
- The coaches have microphones piped into the house sound (when they choose to use it).
- Only passholders with RollerCon Media credentials may record or video sessions, and only with the coach’s permission. You can not get permission to record or video the session during a class. You must request credentials BEFORE ROLLERCON, here. Media credentials are not a guarantee. Even if you have credentials, the coach has the option to allow it or not.
- Only MVP passholders can get into the MVP area, so if you want to audit a class, you will need an MVP pass.
MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE
Our Traffic Dicks spend a lot of time asking people to keep moving in the narrow hallways. Its tempting to chat with a friend who is standing in line (on your way somewhere else), but since nearly everyone in our convention has a skate bag, the halls get super crowded. People are frequently in a hurry to get to a game, so we try to keep traffic moving in the central hallways.
If you have to use the loo during a class or game, you must remove skates. Take your badge and let the Door Dick know what you’re doing so they can let you back in without waiting in line. Most attendees bring slippers for this purpose (Public restroom in socks? Ew)
Make sure your water bottle has your name on it. Someone else has one that looks exactly like yours, and it will be easier for you to find it when it ends up in our Lost & Found. While you’re at it, put your name on all your pads & gear (white / silver paint markers are helpful), and an ID luggage tag on your skate bag. It doesn’t hurt to put your name & “if U found me” contact info on your cell phone (or case) and anything else you might not want to lose.
DON’T BE A DICK TO THE DICKS
They’re volunteers and they follow policy. If you are a jerk to them, all you are doing is being a jerk. You’re not going to get your way if they already told you it can’t happen, because they don’t have the authority to change policy. So please just BE COOL. If you’re a really big dick to the Dicks, they are authorized to take your badge temporarily or permanently and write up a D-Bag Report. More than one D-Bag Report and you can Foul Out. Egregious D-Baggery can get you immediately ejected from the convention. Please be cool.
OTHER HELPFUL HINTS? Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org!